Sunday 22 February 2009

You can have any colour as long as it's black

Ok, so it's been a few days but I've made progress. Honest!
After much humming and hawing about finishes, I've settled on an ebony stain. I was going to try a graphic paint job but there simply isn't enough time, and I don't want to mess up a decent bit of wood with paint. There's some nice grain on this cherry and it would be great to bring it out as well as get a black(ish) finish. I tried some other colours/finishes but they didn't bring out the grain the way the ebony did, so it was no contest in the end.
So here we have some detail of the stain with the grain:


Once I've sealed it with oil, it'll darken a bit more, but still leave the grain texture visible as well as the red figuring lines, which I really like. Its a shame there's more on the back than on the front! It should only take a couple of days to get some coats of oil on and then I can fit the whole guitar together.

No comments:

Post a Comment